This vineyard belonged to the Dukes of Burgundy whose properties were eventually acquired by the King of France, Louis X1. In 1477, when the last Duke of Burgundy Charles the Bold died, the vines of the Ducal Crown passed into Royal ownership and then the vineyards owned at Aloxe-Corton and Beaune became known as Clos du Roi. Clos (masculine noun, 12th century, from Latin CLAUSUM “closed place, closing”). Generally speaking a clos is a cultivated or uncultivated plot, a garden next to or surrounding a dwelling, partly or entirely surrounded by hedges, walls or ditches. We find the word Clos with this meaning in some lieux-dits of the Burgundy vineyards. http://www.degustateurs.pro/article-entre-mythe-et-realite-le-corton-clos-du-roi-125214671.html
ATTENTION : copyright application iOS ClimaVinea or https://www.athenaeum.com/livre/2337006-climats-et-lieux-dits-des-grands-vignobles-de-b–sylvain-pitiot-marie-helene-landrieu-lussigny-editions-jean-pierre-de-monza (ISBN 978-2-916231-20-4)
The vineyard plot(s)
Half this vineyard is 50 years old, the other half is around 30 years old.
The soil and subsoil
The ground is brown limestone over a Bathonian era. It is very well-drained, dry, stony and warm and the vines are stressed during their growth cycle and the ripening of the grapes.
According to the vintage conditions.
The “Clos du Roi” is on the top part of the slope at around 300 to 320 metres altitude. The slope is quite steep and faces south-east.