The Clos des Langres belonged from the 11th century to the Langres Cathedral Chapter and the wines produced have enjoyed an excellent reputation ever since. Doctor Lavalle in his 1855 work The History and Statistics of the Great Wines of the Côte d’Or gave the vineyard a top ranking in his classification and wrote: “The wines have body and colour (…) and can be compared with the finest wines from more prestigious villages”. The authors Danguy and Aubertin in their 1892 work The Great Wines of Burgundy classed the wines as Première Cuvée.
The vineyard plot(s)
Selection of low-yielding Chardonnay grafted onto Pinot Noir planted in 1992.
The soil and subsoil
Brown limestone over organodetritic limestone from the Bathonian and Callovian eras (facies “Dalle nacrée” or pearlescent stone).
According to the vintage conditions.
The Clos des Langres is situated between Ladoix-Serrigny and Corgoloin on a synclinal elevation which lends itself to good drainage and a luminous and aerated microclimate. It is at an altitude of around 245 to 255 metres. The slope is shallow and faces south-east. The plot is located at the border between the Côte de Beaune and the Côte de Nuits and is thus truly at the heart of the Burgundy wine region.